Sunday, May 15, 2011

Still Not Having The Best of Luck

Well, Im here, but it hasnt been the smoothest ride. The plane rides themselves were fine aside from not really being able to sleep much all night, so Im going back to the hostel in a bit to sleep. Well, dinner on the plane wasnt great, they come by and ask if I wanted chicken or beef. I asked if there were any veggie options and Im told chicken. And that was in the US, Ill have lots of fun with that here! So eventually got to Bolivia, went thru immigration no problem (but minus the cost of the expensive visa), and then went to wait for my bag. There was a backpack sitting there that looked exactly like mine, same shiny blue coloring, same model. But it wasnt mine. I was worried that the person had taken my bag and left hers. I waited till all the bags through, and then went to deal with lost baggage with a couple other people. Turns out the girl whose bag this was wasnt even on the flight, so she clearly didnt take it. But a few of the other people with lost baggage had done the same thing I had with taking Delta and then transferring to American, apparently our baggage didnt make the switch with us. Wonderful. After about an hour of waiting and filling out a form with airport staff who were thankfully very nice, I took a taxi into the city. It was just starting to get light so it was a really pretty ride. The airport is in El Alto, which is way above most of La Paz, so you drive down this huge hill and the sloping and houses are gorgeous. Ill see it all in the full light in a bit. Checked into a hostel, where the staff were again really, really nice and helpful. They made me breakfast and I talked to the guy who was working there while I ate and that was really interesting, he is in his 20s and studying to become a mechanic. Super helpful and eager to answer any questions. My Spanish is quite shaky, but it will get there. The grammar, not so much, but as long as I can understand things and get my point across, I should be good. After breakfast, I went out to change money, call the airport, and find internet. Got hold of the same guy at the airport who had been helping me and gave him the address of my hostel- he will call the hostel in the early morning to let me know the bag is here (it will travel out of miami late tonight), and then the bag will be delivered to me. That part is really nice, i was worried i would have to go back to the airport in the morning, which would have cost quite a bit for roundtrip taxi and just been a pain. so fingers crossed that my bag actually makes the journey this time and hopefully I will get it tomorrow. Luckily I have all my valuables with me as well as a change of clothes. But Im freezing, its really really cold here and I have a warm jacket but no layers or gloves or anything. Ick. Ill probably take it easy today and just go to a few museums and wander the city after a nap. And my luck with this trip better get better after this, things just keep on going wrong, all related to stupid airlines! Okay my fingers are frozen from typing since the door to this cafe is open, but Ill write later when I have actual fun adventures rather than just travel hassles.

2 comments:

  1. Well, travel hassles are part of the adventure, right??? Have fun and stay warm! Loving your blog already....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, sorry about your backpack. Hopefully by now you have it and everything is straightened out!

    I'm glad you made it there safely. Enjoy exploring the city and stay warm!

    ReplyDelete